Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Directx shifting: resolution workaround?
Geoff OB   2008-02-20 07:56
Hi there, been starting to use ultramon happily more and more, but there's one problem i keep coming up against: Directx shifting the 2nd monitor when the primary monitor runs something fullscreen.

the way my desk is set up, i have my 15inch wide laptop screen as my primary running 1280x800, with a 19inch standard LCD running secondary, to the right (can't have it on the left), at 1280x1024.

ideally, i'd like to have a game fullscreen on 1, video fullscreen on 2. but as mentioned, running a fullscreen game (without a "windowed" function like, say, WoW) shifts the second monitor to the right.

now i've read that this is in fact a directx problem, so i've got to try the workarounds from the FAQ, but since i can't move my 2nd monitor, i have to try the resolutions fix, which i've been toying with to no avail (made a display profile for gaming with the second monitor testing different resoultions while a fullscreen runs on the primary).

ultimately, my question is: given my setup, could you elaborate on the "change the display resolution manually before playing the game" as mentioned in the FAQ? should the 2nd resolution match that of the 1st, or that of the game running in the 1st? or is there something i'm missing?

sorry for the verbosity, and thanks in advance.
Christian Studer   2008-02-20 10:54
The profile should set the primary monitor to the resolution the game is going to use.

This way the game doesn't need to change the resolution when it gets launched, and you won't have the problem with screen contents getting shifted.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Geoff OB   2008-02-21 06:53
well colour me embarassed, i didn't even think about the primary resolution. works like a charm so far, i just set up display profiles for each standard game resoultion. as thanks, i made this little guy. cheers!

d-(^_^)-b
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Directx shifting: resolution workaround?