Forums -> Multiple monitors -> can you mix and match pci-e gfx cards for multi monitor setup ?
Lowrider007   2006-05-12 00:41
I've had a very hard time looking for information on this topic and am hoping someone on here can enlighten me, my next motherbaord is the intel Desktop Board D975XBX that has 3 pci-e slots, I need to have 3 monitors running off this board, can I put a 7900gtx pci-e in one slot to power 2 screens and then purchase say a cheap 6200 pci-e and run another monitor from that, OR, would I have to match the 7900gtx meaning I would have to buy another one just to run an extra screen ? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Josh   2006-05-12 08:57
You wouldn't have to match the cards unless you wanted to run SLI mode. To my knowledge actually sticking in two diffrent cards in the same board won't be an issue for running three monitors. It's the common way of doing it in fact. :)
Wagner   2006-05-22 11:00
Look into this a bit further before you buy. I have a 6800GS as my main card, and I recently replaced my PCI secondary with a 6500. I use a DFI SLI Infinity as my mainboard, and I have the system running, but its unstable. I've not yet had even 20 hours of uptime before the computer crashes. I've had as little as 10 minutes between reboots sometimes. Anyone else have information on this?
Blade   2006-08-09 15:26
Hi,

I was hoping someone could expand on this. I am thinking about doing the same thing as Lowrider007.

For an SLI capable motherboard, will any 2 PCI-e NVIDIA-based video cards work well together?

Also, since I have an ASUS mobo, would 2 ASUS video cards increase the chances of stability?

Thanks,
- Blade.
Chakkuchan   2006-08-20 21:54
Yah I'm running a ASUS 7800Gt and a much cheaper Asus 7600GT on and A8N-SLI Premium mobo, as long as you DON'T install the Asus Enhanced driver or Asus Smartdoctor (overclocking program)you will not have any problems, both Smartdoctor and the driver will crash your computer if you install them.

Also I'm running 3 Samsung 204Bs off of 25' VGA extension cables hooked up to these 2 cards, and no conflicts.
WaxMan   2006-12-07 00:01
I have been looking for similar information on this. Have noticed that there is no issue running multiple PCI-e cards from the same manu even with diff chip revsions. However has any one been able to confirm or knows if it possible to run pci-e cards from different manufacturers (as we do with PCI).
I would try I hve a 6600GT and 1900XT, but could not manage to get them to work with the 6600 in slot 1 and as this is a passivly cooled card (HS on the back and front) I cant swap the cards over.
Jan Arkesteijn   2006-12-12 00:08
Hi All,
I am already for some time using an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo with 1 XFX 6800GT PCIe card and 1 Matrox Parhelia APVe PCIe card with a total of 5 monitors without any problem.

Today I added a 6th monitor using an extra PNY FX5200 PCI card. This one could be added to the above configuration without any problem.
I first tried to use a Club3d Radeon 9200 PCI card, but this one I could not even get visible in the hardware device manager, so after a few hours of messing around I removed it again.

See you, Jan Arkesteijn
Col   2007-05-28 11:21
I have a radeon agp 9200 with two monitors and was hoping to fit another radeon PCI (not express)anyone with comments on such a set up?
OS win xp.
David DeRolph   2007-06-02 02:46
Col, that should work fine. A combination of AGP and PCI cards are often used in multi-monitor configurations.
Col   2007-06-06 09:50
I hope it is ok to post a follow up to my own post.
A new Radeon 9250 was fitted into my dual screen set-up - Win XP.
The PC found it straight away - plug & play.
Then I plugged in a monitor and the screen was blank.
Right clicked on one of the other screens - properties - settings and clicked on screen three.
Screen three was now working.
Then I had to tell the PC what order I wanted them across the desk - adjust the screen resolution and all is "perfect" as they say.
I have only had it today but it looks great and so useful.
David DeRolph   2007-06-06 13:39
Sure, it's OK to post a follow-up. In fact, it's a good thing to do; it adds value to the discussion for everyone who reads the discussion thread.

Glad to hear you got the card installed and working.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> can you mix and match pci-e gfx cards for multi monitor setup ?