Forums -> UltraMon™ SDK -> Enabling extended desktop on single-display machine.
Simon Clemen   2004-09-25 03:58
Hi, hope somebody is able to help me...
Short : I'm writing an application for exporting the window of an arbitrary Windows XP application to another computer.
This is accomplished by using the PrintWindow API in windows XP on the desired windows handler. When the user wishes to "move" the application to the other machine, I hide the actual application outside the visible desktop area, and then grab the window output (bitmap) using printwindow which is then transmitted to the other machine and displayed.
This works great, however I would like to be able to send the mouse events (on the exported image) back to the real application running outside the visible area of the desktop.
This fails, as the mouse is confined to the bounds of the desktop, And I cant perform a mouse click outside this desktop area(!)
My idea is now to use the extended desktop approach. I would like to create an extended desktop area (where the exported windows can reside and the mouse is able enter...) This would enable me to accomplish the task... so....
Q: Is it possible to enlarge the desktop area (enable secondary monitor), without actually having a physical monitor connected (single-chipset signle-head cards) ? Or does Windows XP prevent this ? - Do you have any other ideas on how to enlarge the "virtual" desktop area. ?

Hope somebody is able to assist me :)

Kind Regards Simon Clemen.
Forums -> UltraMon™ SDK -> Enabling extended desktop on single-display machine.