Forums -> UltraMon™ SDK -> Considering UltraMon for use with Imaging
DanielMc   2003-12-01 02:02
We have a need to image computers that use the extended desktop feature of Windows XP. The BIOS setup uses the PCI card as primary but we want the applications to use the AGP card as Primary. Also, the AGP cards not not all from the same manufacturer, some are ATI and some are Intel.

I was hoping to use the Ultramon dll to programatically set the Primary and Enabled switches for these monitors without having to use the XP Desktop Control Panel. The problem I am having (Using the Demo Version right now) is after Windows Plug & Play has found its new hardware, I am not able to Enable the Display on the AGP card.

I saw a reference to a bug fix where a monitor could not be enabled until some settings were in the registry. This describes my problem pretty well. After using Display Control Panel once, I can use the Dll calls to enable, disable, and set primary all I want. But we want this to be done programmatically so the user never has to open the Display Control Panel.
DanielMc   2003-12-01 02:18
Some clarifications:
By imaging I am refering to Disk cloning using Symantec Ghost for a rollout to many computers, not graphics imaging.

When Windows boots up the first time on the target computer, plug & play finds all of its new hardware and displays a message to reboot. At this point (or worst case immediately after the reboot) is when we want to use UltraMon. Here is the vbscript code I tried:

Set sys = CreateObject("UltraMon.System")
Set mon1 = sys.Monitors("1")
Set mon2 = sys.Monitors("2")
mon1.Enabled = True
mon2.Enabled = True
(sys.ApplyMonitorChanges <- Tried this a few times)
mon2.Primary = True
mon1.left = mon2.width
sys.ApplyMonitorChanges

The problem is the code does not work unless I have already set things up once in the Display control panel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Christian Studer   2003-12-01 02:46
If there are no saved settings in the registry, UltraMon will only enable the monitor if resolution and position are specified as well (colordepth may be required as well for it to actually work).

The following should work fine:

Set sys = CreateObject("UltraMon.System")
Set mon1 = sys.Monitors("1")
Set mon2 = sys.Monitors("2")

mon2.Enabled = True
mon2.Primary = True
mon2.Left = 0
mon2.Top = 0
mon2.Width = 1024
mon2.Height = 768
mon2.Colordepth = 32
mon2.RefreshRate = 75

mon1.Enabled = True
mon1.Left = 1024
mon1.Top = 0
mon1.Width = 1024
mon1.Height = 768
mon1.Colordepth = 32
mon1.RefreshRate = 75

sys.ApplyMonitorChanges

If it still doesn't work, try calling ApplyMonitorChanges separately for each monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
DanielMc   2003-12-08 10:52
Thank you for the answer. It worked on my test this morning. Now I have to go find the money to pay for it. If I am simply registering the dll in a batch file, do I need to worry about the 30 days expiring? I work for a large company so finding $500 for software takes a long time. I want to warn my testing team if the version I use today won't work when I send them the software.
Christian Studer   2003-12-08 20:13
The trial version will stop working 30 days after installation, more specifically the CreateObject calls will fail.

DanielMc   2003-12-16 07:08
OK, I have bought and downloaded the software, I want to verify these steps.

1) Unregister the trial Dll
2) Delete the trial Dll
3) Copy the licenced Dll
4) Register the licenced Dll

I am trying to keep the footprint very light so I am not installing anything other than the UltraMon.dll.

Thank you,
Daniel
Christian Studer   2003-12-16 19:39
That's the correct installation procedure.

Installing only UltraMon.dll should work fine, I haven't tested this myself though.

If UltraMonHook.dll isn't installed, you won't be able to save/restore position of desktop icons.

wjy   2004-06-02 04:35
For some reason, all the desktop icons now appear on my primary monitor every time I boot up, and I have to manually invoke "Desktop Icons > Restore Positions" to get it back to my usual setup. It may be a conflict with StyleXP, but its worked fine with it before.
Christian Studer   2004-06-02 07:06
Please check if automatic icon positioning is still enabled, the option is under UltraMon Options > General, 'preserve position of desktop icons'.

Forums -> UltraMon™ SDK -> Considering UltraMon for use with Imaging