Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Have 2, going for 3, need help
RedDawg   2002-02-14 10:47
OK, I have become a monitor junkie, currently running two with no problems, want to add a third but am unable to. Help wanted/needed/
appreciated. Here's the current setup:

O/S: Win98SE, Build 4.10.2222A

MB: S1846S/L Tsunami ATX, 768 MB RAM, AMI BIOS V. 2.00.04

Pri. Monitor on NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (AGP)

Sec. Monitor on S3 ViRGE-DX/GX PCI (375 /385) (PCI)

Attempted Third Monitor on S3 Trio 32/64 PCI (732/764), BIOS V2.09 I believe this card to be multiple-monitor cabable but am not certain. It installs OK but results in a Device Manager "conflict" with the following notice:

"Your computer's display driver will not work with Multiple Display Support. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance in obtaining a display driver that will work with Multiple Display Support."

This makes it sound like a software/driver issue, but I have been unable to find an updated driver to install for this card to allow it to be used with a 3rd monitor. One local hardware vendor told me he didn't think it was possible to run more than two monitors under W98SE, an opinion I am unwilling to accept. So I have the following questions:

1. Can the S3 Trio 32/64 (aka Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T PCI) be used to add a 3rd monitor to the above configuration? Do I need a different BIOS chip on the card? If so, where do I get it? Do I just need an updated driver for the card? Where do I get that?

2. If this card cannot be made to work for a 3rd monitor, can you recommend one that will?

3. Is the UltraMon program necessary, useful,
or even applicable to the above situation?

Reply here or in private.
Christian Studer   2002-02-21 12:04
Win98 does support 3 monitors (and more), but I also had problems with the 3rd monitor with some configurations: the same hardware would work fine with Windows 2000/XP, but not with Win98/Me.

In theory the second S3 should work, if you want to try a different card take a look at the shopping guide for some suggestions.

UltraMon doesn't help with getting the hardware working. See UltraMon Features for more information on UltraMon.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
HReiss   2002-03-21 06:58
I currently run three monitors under WinME. Should be about the same under 98 but can't say for sure.

I have Gainward CardExpert GF2MX Golden Sample with two VGA CRT connectors (but having hard time getting updated drivers).

I also have 3Dfx Voodoo 3-2000 Driver Rev. 1.07.

Great setup for surfing the web and spreadsheets and have used it for that for about a year and half.

Just loaded FS2002 and performance is disappointing so can't say my setup is the one for gaming.

HR
3 Wheels   2002-03-26 05:43
I have run 3 PCI cards and 1 AGP under Win98 SE. Ultramon worked well in this config.

I just put whatever old PCI cards in the machine that I could find. Really old, like 1 or 2 meg cards.

The only problem I've ever had is with system conflicts. Sometimes I have to disable the sound card to free up IRQs.

Sidecar Man.
Patrick   2002-04-04 08:34
I've been running 3 monitors for about a year now. I couldn't even get Windows 9x or ME to boot with 3 video cards. 2000 and XP Pro work great. It may just be a 9x kernel issue with some card configurations.
Nite   2002-04-04 19:31
The S3 Trio DOES NOT have multi-monitor capable drivers, anywhere. (I have the same card, and have been trying months to get it running). Unless some individual has written working drivers and is willing to share, there is no solution to get S3 Trio as secondary adapter under Win9x.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
soundguy   2007-12-29 08:22
i can't seem to get drivers for the S3 VIRGE DX/GX pci card for XP, it is very annoying
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Have 2, going for 3, need help